Saturday, February 21, 2009

Puking is involuntary... mostly.

Well well well, once again a city council oversteps the line and gets pulled back from the brink of actually doing something somebody cares about.
In case you missed the scoop, the City of Port Phillip were going to run some ads on TV about draining the lizard or revisiting lunch on the sidewalk.
Now, this may sound pretty innocuous, and it is. Really. I mean, if you watch the ad, you can kind of see how someone may feel a little voyeouristic watching a girl drop strides in the middle of a party...

My favourite bit is when someone hands her a drink from off camera. It's such a casual gesture. Presonally, I don't have a problem with this piece of advertising, I actually find it quite effective, if not arousing in a weird way.
But my real beef is with the following companion piece....

And my issue is this. A chunder is (90% of the time) unintentional. It's an involuntary discharge of the stomach's contents through the mouth. And sometimes the nose.
I can understand telling people to wait until they get home or at least into their front garden to take a quick slash, but if I need to puke I can't really put that on hold for 15 minutes while I grab a cab back to my place. And noone is letting me into a bar with the line "i'm just dashing in for a quick vomit, then i'll be right out again". The gutter is usually my only choice, and I should be applauded for choosing the gutter (or a handy garbage bin) as my receptacle of choice. I could just as easily have puked on the bottom of the escalators at Parliament station, so it got spread all the way up to the top, and stunk up the place all day.
I'll bet then the gutter doesn't look so bad.
Peace.

1 comment:

  1. I missed this dude, nice.
    I'm with you on this.

    Through an unfortunate combination of beer, Jamesons and pizza, i was faced with the decision to "enjoy or destroy" the other day, and there was zero choice involved... zero.

    ReplyDelete